Monday, March 26, 2007

Big Ups to Brooklyn

hello fine peoples,

I don't have much but check it out yo!
Brooklyn Museum recently opened the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art with an exhibition entitled Global Feminisms. I particularly like this photography piece entitled Bind by Ryoko Suzuki.

From the artist:
"The idea of "pig is cute" was implanted in me by adults through a cartoon, the "Three Little Pigs." However, breeding pigs I saw at a pig farm, when I was a child, were so huge and ferocious that I could never find any cuteness in them. That was the first time I realized that the fairytale world was far from the reality, and I felt betrayed by adults. That is why I employ the "Three Little Pigs" as a symbol of lies and fictions given by adults, which become exposed sooner or later in the process of a child's growth.

The "Bind" series expresses my inner self; a grown-up who left the world given by my parents and other adults and acquired my own thinking, and a woman who has to deal with the female sexuality. In the series, I bound myself with pigskin, which has been soaked in blood as a symbol of womanhood, as a symbol of the given world. I was thinking of my life, in which I had transformed from a child who just took what adults provided, to a woman who led her own life, while I wrapped up my eyes, nose, mouth, and ears with the pigskin. The series is a record of this action."
—Ryoko Suzuki

Check out more exhibition highlights:
Any thoughts?
Peace and Love.

2 comments:

Jaelynrae said...

cool idea and perspective on womanhood, but personally the idea of wrapping bloody pigskin around my face does not sound appealing... ha

E said...

I love it. I did a painting in high school of a girl with a pink ribbon tied over her eyes...kind of for a similar reason.

P.S. This also made me extra glad I'm vegetarian and never have pig stuff near me.