Sunday, April 29, 2007

Really?

So I went to MC Sports yesterday. I like sports stores. They give me hope for the world when I see an equal amount of women's sports gear and men's. Sports are one of those interesting arenas where gender rules are...different.

Until now.

Wilson has unleashed a line of gear labeled "It's a girl thing."

For awhile looking around at the line and thinking, "Why does everything have to be PINK?"

My roommate, who knows my GWS ways, said, "You and your friends would have a field day in here with your analysis."

We would have.

Why does something have to be pink for girls and women to enjoy it? Or for it to be OKAY for them to enjoy it? I had blue softball bats and a black mitt when I grew up. My sliding shorts were black. Not hot pink. My volleyballs were white and so were my kneepads. No pink, and I was a fine athlete.

It gets worse, though.

Right before we left we noticed something. There was a pink softball mitt and a pink and purple ball INSIDE OF A PINK AND PURPLE PURSE. Necessary?? I don't think so.

Thinking about it more, I realized that the only two pink things I own are a track jacket and gym shoes, both by NIKE . I don't know what to make of that.

2 comments:

bridget said...

All I can say is- blech. In basketball, volleyball, track, and rugby, I never owned anything pink either. Only in ballet, of course [why of course, though? hmmm..]. I wonder if they'd pay any attention if people complained, or if all they really care about is whether it sells? I guess I already know the answer to that.

Alex said...

the only pink thing I own is a tie.

I never had pink things in any of my sports but that's maybe because I wore clothes usually designated for boys. What pissed me off though was "lady [insert mascot]" on team shirts.