Monday, April 9, 2007

Where did the kittens go on the class trip? -- to the meow-seum.

This past Saturday I had the pleasure of making a visit to Grinnell College to see a dear friend. She took me on a bit of a tour and showed me their student activist common area (I guess you could call it). Its a mad cool place with a large work/meeting room, a smaller room with a little library and then a locker room that I think would be used mostly for storage. Now granted its a very small-very liberal school (about 1500 students I think), it seems like its a great place for like-minded people to gather in one centralized place and I bet the environment that stems out of that is really invigorating. As I related this back the structure of our school's student group complex, it became clear that the size of this university is both a determining positive and negative factor in terms of coalition building amongst similar goal oriented groups.

We have a ton of groups here so theres a lot of potential for broad coalitons to make resonant social and political progressions but at the same time sometimes I feel like we are too diffused. I feel like theres not enough of a centralized calendar or events/meetings/actions etc. and also a lot of times cosponsorships or coalitions are more so in name or a kind of 'removed' support than anything else. That is to say, if I was to cosponsor your event or become a coalition member it would consist of me 1. supporting it, 2. advertising it to people, and 3. potentially showing up. But, maybe in order for these cosponsorships/coalitions to really become dynamic movements there needs to be a strength of force in numbers at all stages, not just a show of solidarity by way of a shout-out on a phamplet or something like that. I am speaking solely out of my own individual experience on this campus and I don't want to make claims that are bogus or anything, so I am posing two questions sort of. One being: how do you feel about the environment of student activism within the University of Illinois? The second being: do we need a more centralized space to bring people together or with so many people, is it better to just work hard in forming connections by sending people out to different meetings/events to establish familiar ties thereby making it easier to overlap/piggyback onto each others' activism?

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately, because I really believe coalition building can be foundational in the evolution of a movement. Ultimately, we are affected and potentially oppressed intersectionally and right now it makes sense to me to see activist movements stemming from such oppressions working most efficiently when we can enlist a cross-section of groups. Maybe if our identities are constituted through a number of intersectional forces and networks, it then also makes sense to use an intersectional approach in how we resist/reflect those identities through our activism.

word. let me know your thoughts.

2 comments:

bridget said...

1. I think the student activism here is pretty good, all things considered. I've never been a student at another college (or another non-catholic school, for that matter) so I guess I don't have much to compare it too. But I do think that the people here who are doing good work are doing LOTS of it and putting a lot of heart and effort into it. And it seems like any time I speak in person to a like-minded activist and give a direct invite to one of my events, they either come or have a valid reason not to and agree to spead the word.

2. i don't know if a more centralized space is the asnwer. I think more than one "non-western/US minority" gen ed plus a GWS gen ed requirement might help just in terms of increasing ourselves to a critical mass. Even just getting more people who are willing to take the time to go to one thing would help. But in terms of working with what we have, I do think that building connections among groups is going to be the best approach. People can only do so much (especially since we're technically full time students, too. who knew?). Emphasizing showing up to events would help. But I think if we tried to have every student activist planning every rally/teach-in/petition or whatever, nothing would ever get done.

bridget said...

p.s. kitten jokes are my favorite.