Monday, April 16, 2007

The season is upon us

As the wedding season kicks into full gear, I'm feeling the need to vent. It's not that I'm bitter towards the people having weddings. On the contrary, weddings tend to make me cry because there's so much concentrated joy. And I don't entirely agree with those "We're not getting married until everyone can" people. I certainly appreciate the sentiment, but it doesn't do much good to deprive yourself. I have no need to at all dampen others' happiness. But I think the current regulations cheapen heterosexual marriage.

I want couples everywhere to be absolutely outraged. I want people storming the courthouses demanding an explanation for why the government thinks they can regulate the kind of love it takes to commit yourself to another person for life. For LIFE! The kind of all consuming, head-over-heels, connected on the deepest level, only in the movies, can't even be done justice by words kind of love. If you can't say it in words (and you can't) you can't put it on a fucking piece of paper. It would probably burst into flames.

All they're doing is institutionalizing reproduction. And with that in mind...: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2003558717_nokids06m.html

1 comment:

Alex said...

That Washington thing is a pretty wicked cool way of getting what you want. I understand why they would respond that way.

As one of those people who thinks true straight allies shouldn't get married and as your date to several weddings- I disagree with you and understand the pain of dealing with heteronormativity. Funny that you posted this because earlier today I was asked if I would marry you if I could.